Wednesday, October 21, 2015

My Second Zebrawood Snuff Spoon

I have a little bit of experience carving wood.  Not a professional or anything, but I enjoy it.

I have a pretty large collection of exotic woods and some tools, so I thought I'd try my hand at carving some snuff spoons.

This is the second one I've carved, and it is made from Zebrawood.  I've been keeping the profile and design of these spoons fairly simple for a couple of reasons.

First of all, I wanted to sort of highlight the wood itself.  The grain patters and just the warmth of wood.

Secondly, I'm new to snuff spoon carving, so I figured a couple of simple spoons would allow me to figure out the sizes I wanted, and figure out what works and what doesn't when carving something this small.

Over time, I'll share images of other snuff spoons I've carved.  And one of these days, I'll try my hand at carving a snuff box.  Click on the images above to see larger versions of the images.

Mark Stinson
Modern Snuff Website

No comments:

Post a Comment