Tuesday, November 3, 2015

What's the Purpose? Nicotine or Enjoyment?

Offering a Pinch
The Nicotine question is such an interesting discussion.  Do we take snuff for the Nicotine or do we take snuff for the Enjoyment of it.  You'll occasionally hear some debates about this, with some admitting they are in it for the Nicotine...and others making it very clear that the Nicotine is not important to them at all.  This latter group does it for the wonderful scent, the sensations, and the actual experience of snuff-taking.

I'm not sure the two sides of this debate are as juxtaposed as they appear at first.  I mean, I can understand both of those view-points.  I think I've probably been at both ends of the scale, depending on when in my life we're talking about.  There have been points in my life where I've used tobacco products I didn't even like that much, just to get the Nicotine.  There have been other points in my life where I used a tobacco product purely for the taste (mainly with cigars).

But, now I'm somewhere in the middle.  I do very purposefully "maintain" my nicotine levels.  It calms me, focuses me, and makes the world make sense for me.  It just levels me out, and brings me a feeling of peace.  So, yes...I do put some thought into maintaining my Nicotine levels, and thus maintaining the feeling it gives me.  I'm addicted to Nicotine.  If I went cold-turkey from all Nicotine tomorrow, I would be a raving mess for 3 or 4 days, and be thinking about Nicotine for months afterward.  I know, because I've been there.

But, now I only use tobacco products I truly enjoy.  Ones that have benefits and joys far beyond the delivery of Nicotine.  Ones that make me happy on their own.  I would take snuff, even if snuff had no Nicotine...because I like the sensation, the scent, and flavor. Hell, I even like a good back-drip with the right snuff.  So, I get that.  But, it sure is nice it also helps me maintain my Nicotine levels.  One of the benefits of snuff, is it works on both levels.  Nicotine and Enjoyment.

Anyhow, its interesting hearing where people describe themselves on that Nicotine vs. Pure Enjoyment scale.  I think I'm somewhere in the middle.  Where are you?  Feel free to comment below.

Mark Stinson
Modern Snuff Website

2 comments:

  1. I'm a true Nicotine adict and I'm not in the slightest bit ashamed to admit this. However, i also find the actual motion of "snuffing" itself is also quite addictive, tapping the lid, taking a pinch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think the act of snuffing, the ritual, the scent and flavors, the sensation...all of it is addictive far beyond just the nicotine.

      Delete